Saturday, June 11, 2016

What's A Virtual Race?

Hello Everyone,

Have you ever heard of a virtual race? I didn't until a few months ago and now I'm hooked! If you have a Fitbit or something similar or you've wanted to get one but don't have the sudden need to spend the money, well this my opinion on why you should.

A friend of mine told me about a website called 'Make Yes Happen Virtual Races'. I seriously laughed, because I thought she was pulling my leg. They have virtual races that change all the time with different distances. Don't worry about not being able to run or even walk a complete marathon within a few hours!

First off, for someone coming from a back injury - a marathon is definitely not in the cards for me at this time.
However, with Make Yes Happen, I never thought I'd actually have awards while I'm still making my way back to being active.


The Race to Oz Medal (26.2 miles)

The Dublin Pub Crawl (30.3 miles)

Over the last few months (since March), I've completed two races - The Race to Oz (26.2 miles) costing $25 & The Dublin Pub Crawl (30.3 miles) also costing $25. I am currently in the middle of the Challenge Florida (524.8 miles) costing $5. I plan on doing as many as possible. They each cost a different amount and are, like I said before, different distances. I've never paid more than $25 for a race, as I showed above, but I do believe there is one that is $35.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Whatever amount of mileage you walk within a day - no matter if you went for a run or just ran errands with the kids. You insert the mileage into the program online. I don't do this every day. Instead, I wait a few days and keep a log, add the mileage together and submit them into one day (usually at the end of the day, so I can include the current day's mileage).

Once you've submitted all your mileage and you've hit the end of the race, you'll receive in your e-mail a congratulations from the company, as well as an update e-mail letting you know when to expect your medal. You should receive your medal within a week, depending on where you live. Also, each time you input your mileage, they will e-mail you a picture of where you are currently located in the race...even a picture of the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

They currently have 16 races open.

I am actually keeping a log of how many miles I complete with all of the races I do combined. I'd like to find an award shelf to hang my medals and hope to find a custom designer to do it.

Long term - I'd like to show Mark that in order to receive something, you must work for it.

How many races do you plan to do?

~Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment